Descriptif : The volume contains 46 previously unknown songs by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy : settings of poems by Scott/ Storck , Matthisson , Hölty , Heine, Gellert and others are waiting to be discovered! From the “ Lied zum Geburtstag meines guten Vaters ” , a joint composition with his sister Fanny and one of Mendelssohn’s first surviving compositions, to works from his period of study with Carl Friedrich Zelter , the songs span his entire period of compositional activity.'
Popular texts such as “ Ich denke dein ” by Friedrich von Matthisson (set by composers including Schubert, Beethoven, Weber and Wolf), “ Erinnerung ” by Heinrich Heine (set by Schumann, Cornelius, Franz and others) are now available in Mendelssohn‘s settings. Also included is his only song cycle “ Vier Lieder” of 1830. These four songs are linked by motifs in a dramatic narrative structure.'
To mark the composer’s 200th anniversary in 2009, the editor Eugene Asti, Professor at the Guildhall School of Music in London , presents a substantial repertoire of songs in a critical-practical edition. The wide range of forms and colours contained in this collection challenges the accepted view of Mendelssohn’s mostly strophic song settings being comparatively straightforward stylistically.'
- Includes previously unknown songs by Mendelssohn and variant versions'
- English translations of the song texts by Richard Stokes'
- Transposition of songs originally written for medium voice to high voice range'
- Completion of pieces surviving in fragmentary form'
- Detailed introduction and Critical Commentary (Eng/Ger)